Monday, August 8, 2011

Leonard Lilly, my one and only

Trying to learn the basics of cardiology in one month is a bit of a nutty task. It's really interesting material though.

I think I've pretty much read the whole cardiology text now. It's all too much though, I don't think I've taken anything on board!

Actually, another one of our imaginary patients died. She had a heart attack, and was recovering in hospital when she blew a papillary muscle in her damaged heart and died within an hour or so. I was telling Dr. Dad the story of our fictitious patient, when he recalled his own version.

A patient, several days post MI; Rapid onset shortness of breath and a new onset systolic murmur. Dad diagnosed the same condition and the patient met the same fate. Crazy to think these things you learn about actually happen. I'm clearly not mentally ready to be on the wards with peoples lives in my hands. As I told someone today 'I have just enough knowledge to kill someone, but not enough to save them.'

On another note, I forget Dad was a once a young doctor cruising the wards! The perks of being the boss I guess ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment