Monday, January 28, 2013

Long weekend

A lot of the med students gathered back in Radelaide this long weekend. It was good to see all the people who had gone rural, as well as the city slickers. It was a good opportunity to exchange war stories from out first week on the job.

I thought I had had an interesting first week. What with spending a day in surgery and then having a sink hole open up in my garden and try and swallow me. But apparently my week was medically boring.

One of my friends was asked to relocate a shoulder (because the intern was too scared to try) on his first morning in the clinic. He also got to perform a mental block unsupervised.

But the best story I heard was from another of the rural girls. Her first night on call yielded a person who had had their ear completely bitten off in a fight. Literally the whole ear, back to the bone of the skull. It was disgusting... yet cool. And there were photos to prove it.

I can't wait to start on call this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment