Friday, March 1, 2013

In surgery this week

Whilst removing a saphenous vein:
Surgeon: "Pass me the stripper please... So [student] are you married?"
Me: "Are you making a connection between strippers and marriage?"

Needless to say, I got torn apart for my lack of knowledge about the vascular system. But in the kind words of the surgeon

"It's not your fault your uni doesn't teach you enough anatomy." The perils of a four year course I guess.

It was actually a really good session. I learned a lot. Got to pull some veins out and work on my needle work. Then came back to my home hospital and sunk a cannula with nobody but me and the patient watching.

I'm still very hesitant to ask to do things though. I just hang around with puppy-dog eyes until stuff falls to me. Hopefully that will change though.

No comments:

Post a Comment