Wednesday, November 23, 2016

A Tidal volume

 "But then a doc from theatre came out and grabbed me again, offering me the opportunity to drop a tube down the next guys airway. It was sooo cool. I've seen it done on ER lots of times, but to actually jam the tongue down with the metal dealy, see the cords and then pass a tube through them - so cool! Best of all, it went in first shot, in the right spot. "
-Lumpage - 2011, as a first year medical student

I'm on anaesthetics for a couple months. I am absolutely loving it. I haven't had the opportunity to try intubation again since that one and only time I did it in my first year of medical school. It has been great to get some more experience with airways, and already in the two weeks I've been there I can definitely say I have progressed. I wouldn't want the job to fall to me if someones life depended on it - but I can now get the tube in some of the time under optimal conditions!

Just call me the tooth fairy (credit to another web site for their photo)

It turns out it's actually technically more difficult than I thought putting what is essentially a gaint metal spoon in to someones limp and lifeless mouth in order to see down their throat. The sensation of accidentally touching what acts as a giant lever on a patients teeth, is disturbing. But practice makes perfect - or at least improves rapidly.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment