Thursday, February 2, 2012

And we're back for another year!

School went back this week, and it was with much joy and happiness that we found ourselves sitting in PBL first thing monday morning. Once again, I'm happy with my group, which means I've been very fortunate in my group allocations for the entirety of medical school. Though only 5 of the 7 group members have turned up yet. Still, there's hope!

I always enjoy the start of a new block. The first session is usually quick as nobody knows anything, and then the first week is painful, as you sort through numerous books deciding what's helpful and what should never have been written in the first place. It all works out in the end, and we all have a bit of fun getting there.

In a way I'm kind of excited about this year. It marks the end of solid book based learning, and transition to pseudo-doctoring. Or as I like to think of it, I'll be a half-doc come year end.

I'll be honest though, going back to educating myself these past few days has been hard. I've really enjoyed the holiday period. The jeep is filled with sand. At times you would have found golf clubs, tennis rackets, fishing gear and bathers stashed in the back. I have had a great break, and it was the first real holiday I've had in quite some time. It was great to feel relaxed for weeks on end. I'm already looking forward to the end of the year so I can do it all again!

Unfortunately though, there are a few obstacles to be overcome yet. GIT, Endocrine and reproductive, Brain and behavior and the intimidating musculo-skeletal blocks must be conquered. And that unfortunately will require some mental effort. Oh well, I always have my mantra to chant:

"It beats getting a real job!"

No comments:

Post a Comment