Saturday, May 12, 2012

I am learning a lot. Seriously.

For the first time ever in anatomy. I was actually challenged by something I saw this week. Naturally it didn't stop me from watching it, actually seeing it twice. But it's the first time I've ever gone home and still had it playing on mind that night. Usually I walk out of anatomy and don't think about it. I especially don't make any correlation between the cadaver and a cadaver having been a human.



That may sound strange, but I think that's the normal coping mechanism. Anyway, there was something that really sticks in your mind... I'm not going in to details. But it was interesting to watch the professional anatomists just take it all in their stride, while the young medical students either watched on in horror* or looked away.

Sigh, I hope I'm cut out for this.

In a way it reminds me of work in the lab. Sometimes you'd get the cream of the crop come to the lab. Although they had thrived within the boundaries of rigid assessment. As soon as they were let free to be bound by their own creativity - they sank, not swam.

I guess third year will decide that for me then! Speaking of third year related decisions. I have to choose what to do with my time. To stay at FMC, or head off to the sticks. Hmmm, so much to weigh up on that front. I need to seriously contemplate the merits of a year in the country.

*I should probably clarify that nothing dodgy was going on! It's just that anatomy classes have a lot of things happening that don't normally happen in the real world! You just don't normally look at peoples insides and occasionally it all becomes very 'whoa'. It's just different... Still respectful, and still educational.

P.S I promise I'll write a funny post soon. Amusing stuff does happen to me still! I'm just trying to write a medical themed blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment