Saturday, April 12, 2014

Another week in the territory!

Well another week in the unfrozen north. I think I could best describe the week as variable.

ENT surgery is an odd rotation. It's not like other surgical rotations, where people tend to have an operation and take a few days to get better. ENT patients, at least here in Darwin, tend to have their operation and then leave on the day or the next morning. It makes for easy management but boring for a student. Luckily this isn't my only surgical rotation for the year.

The other slightly annoying thing is that when you're operating in someones nose or throat, only one person really gets a great view of it - the surgeon. So watching the operation also tends to be... boring. So unfortunately there have been some long periods of idleness and boredom this week. Not a great thing when you're trying to make a good impression. I'll be honest I snuck out of one afternoon theater session this week and vanished.

The consulting sessions have at least been pretty good. Though the big big boss is a bit of a hard axe. We sat in on a session where he went around the room grilling his minions (but ignoring the students thankfully.) The new registrar was drilled mercilessly. I felt bad, but I guess he's paid to be drilled. Unfortunately (again) the big big boss is the one who fills out my evaluation - event though he has the least to do with me of all the doctors. It's cruel and unusual. The Flinders way.

Okay, I'm done complaining. I'll suck that up for another month.



So we went out on another outreach trip. Unfortunately I'm waiting for my pictures and movies to upload, so I'll put some more photos up with the story. In short we flew in to a little town called Oenpelli, pretty much in Kakadu national park. And it was beautiful.


More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment