Wednesday, July 2, 2014

El queso grande

So I've been back in the Territory for ten days. Once again, I'm reminded how stupidly crazy this place is. They have a whole day where you can buy and launch as many firweorks as you want. It was just non-stop explosions from 4pm till midnight. I'm not even joking. It was the kind of evening that make's living in Palestine look delightful. The news report credited Territorians for the use of their common sense this year - only 13 people had to go to hospital, down from 35 last year.

Speaking of absurdities. One thing that has really surprised me is the number of people coming from detention centers to the various clinics. Also the number of prisoners that get dragged through the hopsital. I don't think I've seen any prisoners or detainees in SA. Sadly I'm referring to prisoners and detainees collectively because they both come in with two guards attached to them. It's really surprising. I always get a slightly weird feeling when I see the two Serco dudes sitting either side of the patient in the waiting room.

"It's a complex issue." - Well if that isn't just the catch-cry of the territory.

On another note, I'm on infectious diseases now. It's amazingly fun. It's definitely moving up the list of things I could see myself doing in the future. Yeah!

I was sitting in clinic yesterday though, and the registrar suddenly says
"Hey you didn't say your Dad was [ A big cheese in this field of medicine], I'm about to call him." So despite being several thousand kilometres away, in another part of the country, people are still talking about you old man! So I sat quietly and I vicariously listened to Dad talking to another doctor about Syphillis.

Hilarious.

Missing you all in Radelaide!

No comments:

Post a Comment