Sunday, September 11, 2011

Media fatigue

I think I'm fatigued. Not from life, but 9/11 commemorations. I don't aim to take anything away from the magnitude of the events that occurred that day, and in response to them. But the media saturation the last few weeks has just been a little much for me.

I certainly remember that day as much as anyone else who was kicking around then, I don' really need to be reminded of it constantly.

Perhaps an observation then... It had to be New York. If those buildings had been in any other city it just wouldn't have been the same. When you watch the videos, and you hear the people reacting in shock and horror. They all have such amazing stereotypical accents, and they cut straight to what they feel with their 'Hey! I'm walking here!' attitude. They don't sit their quietly and whimper so much, but the rawness of their emotion comes right out and hits you in the face. Often when I see the horrific videos of that day replayed, it's not the explosions, the people looking dazed and confused, or the disaster that follows that makes me stop and think. It's the audio in the background. The delay between seeing and vocalising their inner feelings. And then subsequently grasping the magnitude of the outcome.

Normally I'd link a video, but I'm pretty sure you know what I mean already. It's an amazing piece of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment