Thursday, December 20, 2012

Me Doctor. You patient.

So I should probably explain, or at least give a bit of context for those that don't understand medical school. I'm in a post-graduate course. It is four years long, the first two years you are left to study from books. Your occassional interactions with patients are awkward, but slowly you learn a few things:
1. All girls are pregnant till proven otherwise.
2. Blood loss without pain is always worrying.

Mostly though, you are left to feel stupid and realise that you know next to nothing.

I am about to enter the second half of the course, where the books are now secondary to constant interaction with patients. I anticipate the interaction will continue to be awkward, some girls will turn out to be pregnant, and I will be worried by any form of bloodloss (even when I'm taking it.)

Mostly though I expect to feel stupid and realise I know next to nothing.

I'm excited though, as I'm moving out to the country. My first time out of home, my first time seeing patients who are both real, undifferentiated and possibly sick. Annoyingly, the benevolent master that is Flinders University has decided to slug its students rent, where previously the trip to the country has been free. Thanks Flinders! At this stage the rent charged is only modest, but falls a literal couple dollars below the threshold for rent-assistance from the government, therby costing me more. Thanks Flinders! Ughhh. To think, at Adelaide Uni they have to pay the medical students to go to the country. At Flinders we pay... it's no wonder Flinders Uni has a complex about being the poor cousin. We are.

In preparation for this big adventure, I've decided to sell my beloved Jeep. It breaks my heart, but I need something economical and safe. So I've bought a lancer, that I'm hopeful will not kill me, unlike the Jeep which was always a little skittish. The proximity to death was just one of the reasons I felt so alive driving it though. In the same way that hanging around an old peoples home makes you fell alive. Wait... What?

Maybe cars are different.

I do like the new car, but I really am having troubles moving on. I guess one never forgets their first vehicular love. It's sad to have owned your dream car, only to then go back to 'the rest.' I foresee another Jeep in my future. Or at least something stupid.

So now we move on. Away from Flinders. For my group of friends this means disbanding. Three of my usual posse are rural bound. Cheers guys and gals. The sad reality though, is that things wont ever be the same. Realistically, the next time my cohort will all be in the same room again will be graduation in 2014.

Le posse: An academic tour de force, the likes of which will never be seen again.
Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment