Sunday, December 16, 2012

You're standing on my neck

Well officially we have all now passed (thanking the power of the rubber NGP stamp on my otherwise mediocre assessments.)

Went and spent a day in the ED for kicks. Apart from further appreciating my lack of knowledge, I had an interesting time. Got to watch my first proper resus. I was amazed and also strangely relieved at my emotional detachment. It was only a 20ish year old guy, who had managed to combine overdosing and drowning in to one serious misadventure. I watched them work on him for awhile, and as it was a slow day in the ED a plethora of doctors stood around and pointed things out to me with a vague disinterest.

An alarm went off, someone had collapsed in the waiting room, unconscious. They dragged her in to the room next door. A heroin overdose, nothing exciting. At least not to them. Once again the doctors stood around with vague interest that comes only through experience. A prolonged contemplation on whether to administer the antidote or just let her come good with time. She was still breathing, a fact that they made me make sure of. They asked me to reposition her head so her airway would be more open. I began tilting her head back only to have her eyes spring open and for her to begin grumbling.

Even I, a humble second year knows that a talking patient isn't having difficulty breathing. And that was the extent of my good deeds. I left the ED, walking past a tearful family, waiting for news on their son. Weird, but distant.

I could work in the ED I think. People are only your problems transiently, none of this forming a relationship business.




An interesting thought indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment