Saturday, June 25, 2011

Exams

Someone once told me "i'd like to hear more about the mundane stuff on your blog."
The fool! But actually, here's something. I have an exam on monday, and tuesday. Also wednesday. But I'm very calm for some reason. Fingers crossed.

Stuff for you to google maybe:

Best words of the semester: Dyspnea, Dyspareunia (try not to get them confused, you'll be laughed at by doctors.)

Points of order: Peritoneum, perineum (Avoid confusing these. You'll be laughed at by patients, until you ask them to bend over while you examine their abdomen pain.)

Words and things I consistently forget: Anisocytosis, graded potential, Arachnoid Villi, NPY, AGRP neurons, and the one asprin breaks down to. I forget...

7 comments:

  1. I don't know mate. I'm sure dyspareunia could bring on acute dyspnea. They could have both been brought on because of the inappropriate inclusion of the perineum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry about those things you consistently forget. The only one I recognise is anisocytosis, so they're clearly not too critical on a day-to-day basis.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! James, you're right. I can't believe I didn't construct that scenario myself!
    PTR: I realise like most things I learn, the practical applications will be few if any. But please tell me, do you get to at least say poikilocytosis on a regular basis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly, I said "pencil poikilocytes" today for the first time in three years. Honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't have my first exam for another two months. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Good because I can avoid going crazy, bad because there is a 80% exam (for the entire year [!]) in November. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to watching your meltdown. I'm sure it will only be moderate. Is your stuff NGP? Or are you actually assessed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also PTR, there was an exam question about pencil poikilocytes - I'm hopeful they are microcytic!

    ReplyDelete