Saturday, July 23, 2011

Let the insomina end

I'm not usually one to write about sport. I might give the token sentence to how much I love the Tour de France. But I don't think I've ever written long tributes to it. Well, today is your day friends! Wait, don't leave!
Before that I must quickly grumble. I've captured myself a rhino and have been a little sick. This at the first week of the term, which is okay I guess. But my new PBL group has a completely different make up than my old one. Having a couple intensive care nurses, a pharmacist and a lot of scientists has greatly changed the dynamic from my old group. Probably just as well, as I want to feel challenged. Though, for the first time I feel inadequate! Time to hit the books, which is convenient because:

Le tour is about to finish! Devastating I know. But in my mind this has been the most interesting tour for ages. If you haven't been watching it - shame on you! But I understand. It is on late, and I have taken to tivoing it and watching it over breakfast the next day.

Still, without the sideshow of Lance Armstrong, the focus this year has been purely on the heads of state. A spirited nine day showing by the Frenchman Voekler kept him in yellow for 9 days, defying his critics on a daily basis, who said he would never last in the mountains. Only yesterday, on the final mountain stage did he finally lose the coveted number one spot.

Contador, who has won the event on previous occassions hasn't really turned up this year - but keeps causing trouble amongst the three main contenders. If you have seen a little cycling in recent years, you'll know that two brothers - Andy and Frank Schleck are freakish athletes. Unfortunately for the Aussie Cadel Evans, they are his fiercest competitors, working to deny the Australian victory.

So it has been fascinating to watch, the Aussie fighting hard trying not to let the Schleck brothers get away, and the Schlecks punching and counter punching their way up mountains trying to destroy Cadel.

The whole story has been complicated by their vastly different riding styles. Cadel is like a diesel, he goes and goes, but takes awhile to get up to speed. The Schleck's however have a very rapid acceleration, so watching the game of cat and mouse play out on the beautiful backdrop of the French countryside has been fascinating.

The race as a whole has been excellent this year, though I don't deny I'm a Cadel fan, and hoping desperately that after twice being runner up, this year will be his year. Although Cadel has finally got himself a half decent team, he is still the best on his team, which has left to do so much of the grunt work by himself.

After 19 days of racing, the last competitive stage (The final stage is more like a celebratory ride than a race) is about to begin. And this time it's every man for himself. The final stage is an individual time trial. Whereas the previous stages have allowed riders to work as a team in order to share the load and conserve energy. The final stage is a 40 odd kilometre race, every man for himself. Ultimately, the clock is the enemy. Cadel sits 57 seconds deficit of Andy Schleck, who holds the yellow Jersey. Schleck is not renowned for his time trialling, whilst Cadel is a road race champion. The hope tonight, is that Cadel can gain back that minute, and I know I'll be watching earnestly. If Evens can do it, there will be much excitement in this house.

So I urge you to watch it, it will be interesting to say the least. I haven't even mentioned the beautiful scenery, the tactics, the fact that this is the ultimate test of a persons physiology, and the incredible emotion that becomes evident amongst the winners and losers.

9:30 Tonight, grab a drink, settle in front of the TV and yell for Cadel.

No comments:

Post a Comment