Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sailing on 'the live forever'

I'm watching stage one of the Tour de France, and I looove it.

Now that we've got the obvious out of the way, I think you should know. I have seen my future. Sort of. It's shocking.

I found myself in a waiting room in Flinders private Hospital, and I saw my future. My GP, referred me to go get my blood pressure monitored for 24 hours. I've never gone to a GP frequently enough to have a GP that I could claim to be my own. The advantage of getting sick once every three years I suppose. But my GP is suitably zealous, and keen to confirm the coatyness of my white coat hypertension.
"As a medical student, you'll enjoy it on another level!" She promised me. And I hoped I would.

As I sat in the waiting room of the cardiac clinic, I got to look around at my fellow visitors.

Old people.

Lots of them.

"I'll just take you through for an ECG, and then you'll meet with the doctor."
I heard that phrase a lot, spoken loudly and clearly. And then another old person would get called upon and the process would repeat.

Finally, after half an hour of having the life sucked out of me by old people admiring my young flesh I was called upon!
'Why am I here again?' I pondered to myself. This endless questioning continued as the nurse began to explain to me what blood pressure was. Very simply, slowly and loudly. Oh dear.
'I'm young!' My internal monologue screamed.

In the end it was okay. Except being woken up every half an hour by the BP cuff inflating. Results will be in in a couple of weeks, but I had a few peeks at the device and I seemed to be floating between normal and the bottom end of high normal. I suspect I shall live through the night.

Man, the French countryside is pretty. But it's looking a bit drier this year. Has a bit of a South Australian feel to it actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment