Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Best day of my life candidate

Well, I just finished my recovery room placement. And it was perhaps the most fun and interesting time I've had in a while. I'm not really sure how to relive the experience through this blog. I realise, as I expressed in my last post, that in but a few years the whole morning will be viewed as mundane. And yet, the first time you get to see things, feel things, hear things and smell things... mind blowing.

That said, I rocked up anticipating to watch people wake up from surgery, be groggy and complain about post operative pain. And this is pretty much what I saw. A lot of pain rating, consciousness evaluation and doling out meds. Alas I didn't get to do much but ask a few questions and talk to a couple patients as a distraction. One of the nurses noticed by seeming idleness and asked me if I wanted to go jump in to theatre instead. And I certainly said yes.

I'd never been to theater before, nor seen any blood and guts glory. So I was off the chart excited. The aneasthetist was quite jovial and keen to let me do some hands on stuff.
"How much do you know about airway management?" He asked me.
"Enough to do basic life support, but that's about it."
"That'll be heaps! Now I've just stopped him from breathing so you might want to put this mask on him."
And so I did, but the guy seemed to resist it.
"Oooh we've got a fighter here! Love that!" And the Doc grabbed the mask back and fiddled with knobs. A nurse then came and got me and taught me how to scrub in. I'll be honest - I was bamboozled by the sterile gloves. They're all neatly folded and confusing, and I wasn't sure which part I should touch with my clean hands. All I've been taught from television is - don't contaminate yourself by touching something you shouldn't.
The operation was fascinating, got to watch an ACL be reconstructed. The orthopods were good teachers, and explained everything as they went. I asked questions, and most importantly didn't pass out or throw up. If anything I felt hungry.

I then got to cut stitches and staple the wound closed. I then followed the patient through to recovery and all was well. But then a doc from theatre came out and grabbed me again, offering me the opportunity to drop a tube down the next guys airway. It was sooo cool. I've seen it done on ER lots of times, but to actually jam the tongue down with the metal dealy, see the cords and then pass a tube through them - so cool! Best of all, it went in first shot, in the right spot. The surgeon then let me remove the screws from the guys metal plate and staple the wound closed. "I was working on the jeep yesterday, so this feels familiar." I said to the surgeon whilst removing the screws. He laughed. Man, it was blood on your hands type fun. So fun!

I'd wondered what surgery was going to be like, and I really enjoyed it. I always thought I'd end up doing a pseudo science/medical job. I thought surgery would be a bit too much time at work. But who knows!

I'm happy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment