Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ummm, is that normal?

"It's useful as an introduction to shake a patient's hand when meeting him or her. Apart from being polite, this may help the diagnosis of dystrophia myotinica, a rare muscle disease in which the patient may be unable to let go." T&O'C

I like medical books. They always contain these hilarious anecdotes of speculative value. I wish I could fill my thesis with observations like these. Oh well!

I'm excited, and it's sad. My first semester of medical school has been entirely theory. Very little in the way of hands on. It would be fair to say that I could have acquired more hands on experience at an over zealous church, of interesting denomination. But that's okay! Because this wednesday I get to do my recovery room placement. My understanding, is that I'll get to do such exciting things as:
Calculate volumes remaining in bags, and
Suction spittle and or emesis related products.

Nah, it won't be that lame. There will be the opportunity to keep peoples airways open so they don't die. This will amuse me because the person will be unconscious initially, and I've always wanted to see what happens when people wake from unconsciousness.

The thing is, I'm keenly aware that this will soon become mundane for me. I remember the times when we got undergrads in to the lab. They loved doing mundane things like loading gels, or pouring off supernatents. And now I'm that guy! And I'm excited about it! Groan!

I guess it's a good idea to at least be keen at the start though! Starting off bitter would be a bit silly. Fingers crossed I don't kill anyone, because that would be a serious blow to the psyche at this formative stage.

What I find ridiculous though, is that this is the first time I get to wear scrubs. And that's sadly the most exciting part of all! Even though there will be countless opportunities in the future... I'm really looking forward to it. I guess it's that moment where you start connecting that dream you had as a kid to reality. I hope it will be at least a small fraction of the goodness my mind has built it up to be, and that the patients will all be as good looking and interesting as those on Grey's anatomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment