Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pilgrims progress & conscious incompetence

Parents often describe children as having 'wonder weeks,' Where all of a sudden a marked progression or change in the child is noted. Sometimes I feel like a child in amongst a rather adult medical system. Every now and again though I feel like I show signs of progression. Even if its something as silly as getting five cannulas in a row (a new record.)

I think there have been a few cases over the last few weeks where I've managed to assess, diagnose, present the case to a doctor, chip in what I think needs to be done next and then actually do some of those things without making a mess of it. I hope that marks some progression, because some of the cases haven't exactly been easy. I've had a run of interesting acute neuro presentations which have been diagnostically challenging.

The other day we had a patient who had walked in to a fence pole and cut their leg. it didn't hurt too much and it hadn't bled too badly. Or at least that was the history that was conveyed to us. So the nurse and I decided we should have a look at the "wound" that was being hidden beneath a rather large towel and maybe give it a clean up. Usually in these situations it ends up being a disappointingly small cut or skin tear that may or may not need stitches. The towel sure wasn't dripping with blood today, and I was eagerly hoping to put in a few sutures if it was going to be big enough. Needless to say we were both quite surprised when we unwrapped the leg and found a 20+cm complex laceration going down to vessels and tendons. Suffice to say a plastic surgeon had to be found and I didn't get to do any stitching. Oh well! It's always amusing when people understate their injuries.

And that's my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment