Monday, March 28, 2011

Slippery dippery

One thing I didn't reflect on yesterday was the issue of lubricants. When I was putting the bushes on the sway bar, I happily followed the instructions, which were short and lacking detailed information. I applied this viscous lubricant stuff they supplied in a little tube as I saw fit. Now I'm familiar with the petroleum based lubricants, and also the water based stuff too, but...

Under the assumption that whatever I got on my hand would wash off later with water or, at worst washing detergent, I spread the goo around with my finger. The sway bar worked amazing, but I just couldnt get the traces of goo off my hands - it was like some sort of nightmare, where the blood doesnt wash off! Water, dishwashing liquid, Omo. My hands were unstoppably hydrophobic and smooth. It was horrible. To make matters worse, everything I touched seemed to be imparted with this smooth property. I feel like my face is still oddly smooth from where my hands have touched it.

Anyway, two days later and the sensation has gone. I figured it must be a silicon based lubricant, which would make sense in retrospect. Still, icky stuff! Stay away from silicone if you can! (That's a general life suggestion too.)

Amusingly, I must have gotten some silicone on my face, as when I went to shave later that night, my poorly maintained electric clippers picked up speed. Yay for silver linings!

No comments:

Post a Comment