Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What happened to yesterday!?

I'm not even sure how to describe the day in a single word. So here's tale and maybe you can summarise it for me

Well the day started off fine, assisting in lumps and bumps and getting first dibs on ED patients. And then quite unexpectedly I was off with the veteran doctor and in to the suburbs. One of the frequent fliers, indeed a gentleman I was talking to just yesterday had been found dead. I was off to see my first certification.

I'm not sure why I'd thought this person would have just died in bed asleep. It came as a bit of a surprise to find that it wasn't the case. It was very weird to see the person come cadaver still awkwardly in situ at the site of transformation.

Outside I joined in on a quiet joke with the ambos, the policeman and the undertaker. Asked how I found the scene I gave an unguarded 'disgusting.' Instantly regretting my choice of word. The friendly ambo and undertaker were kind enough to put 'disgusting' in to perspective for me by comparing other scenes. I guess it wasn't that bad then.

I jumped back in the docs car feeling ever so mildly nauseated. Fortunately we got in to a good discussion about how you survive in a small country town as the heroic doctor and how you avoid getting involved and ultimately emotionally destroyed.

I think I learned a lot. Not about medicine though. It was another one of those 'learning things about life' days.

After a few moments of pondering it was back to clinic work. I was left to make contact with the orthopods at the kids hospital to transfer a broken distal humerus to them.  I got absolutely drilled by the ED consultant I spoke to about my apparent lack of anatomy knowledge and inability to describe the fracture. Arrrr! All I wanted to do was send the pictures. I mean, how do you describe a chunk of bone that is pushed in two directions and rotated.

Well I found a way: Badly.

After my botched explanation of the two x rays, and because this doctor obviously thought he was hilarious, he finished with a 'what year medical student are you? Ah I see, well 'posteriorly' means backward.' Then started laughing at himself. He did give me some tips though, which was very nice of him.

Luckily he put me through to the orthopod and I got a real doctor to do the speaking. *rubs hands*

Better touch up on the old anatomy. But there is a difference between inexperience and idiocy.

I think I learned a lot. It was another one of those 'learning things about medicine' evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment