Thursday, April 7, 2011

A day in the life of a diabetic vet

I'll be honest - today was a good day. I haven't done anywhere near as much work as I need to though, so many learning issues about to be phoned in!

Anyway, today I got to feel pseudo doctorly. First by actually having a decent interview with a patient. Secondly, we did this diabetic workshop thing, which was really informative. I think being a diabetic sucks, but its better than it used to be anyway. The highlight of the whole experience was testing our own blood glucose levels. I was 4.8, which means I've staved off diabetes for another day. Hooray! The whole experience culminated with jamming an insulin syringe filled with saline in to your own stomach. Deliberately sticking yourself with a needle is an interesting experience, but it all went okay in the end, with only a small amount of blood lost.

It was amusing, some people were unable to inject themselves, whilst others would spend time building up the courage. One guy just jammed it right in... I bet he'll turn in to surgeon.

And tonight I spent the night suturing a pig back together. That was perhaps the most fun... but boy I need some practice in order to get those brain pathways down right... For the record, my horizontal and vertical mattress sutures are beautiful. Can't wait to try them on human flesh!

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know you have a new blog! mabs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Mabs! Hope it is slightly entertaining...

    ReplyDelete